1. What is your name? Joe Spillman
Martial status – Married 14 years this August
Age – 33
Spouse’s Name (if married) – Sarah
Kids - Hnnnah (12), Zachary (7)
2. What is your car #? 44 SportMod & 44s Modified
3. What class do you race in? See #2.
4. Do you have a nickname, if so what is it and how did you get it? I have two: Little Joe – my dad is Big Joe, and Back Hoe Joe – I’ve been operating construction equipment since I was 4.
5. Who are your sponsors? Spillman Excavating, 4G Transportation, Mac Hauling – all of Austin.
6. How long have you been racing? I haven’t raced in 14 years, so I’m a rookie, again.
7. Do you work on your own car? Yes, along with my brother-in-law, Robert.
8. How many feature races have you won? None…yet!
9. How many championships have you won? See #8!
10. Do you think you are a good driver? I’m improving with every race.
11. What make & model of car do you race? GRT Modifired & Trick SportMod.
12. Have you purposely wrecked someone? No…not on purpose.
13. If so, who & why?
14. Looking back, would you do it again?
15. Have you ever rolled your race car? Thankfully, no.
16. Have you ever been hurt in a race car? Not so far.
17. If so, how were you hurt?
18. What groove do you prefer to run (top, middle, bottom)? Depends on the track conditions and my starting position.
19. Do you like a tacky track or dry slick track? Tacky.
20. Do you like your car on the loose or tight side? Neither.
21. Do you want to move up in racing? Not right now.
22. If yes, what is your goal?
23. What is your favorite class to watch (pure, street, super, sport mod, mod, dwarfs, or other)?
1st favorite class to watch - Modified
2nd favorite class to watch - SportMod
3rd favorite class to watch – Street Stock
24. What is your #1 favorite moment from your racing career? Getting black-flagged at the ice breaker in Abilene.
25. What is your worst moment from your racing career? See #24!
26. What was your funniest moment? See #24 & 25!!
27. In your racing career, what was the best advice anyone has ever given you? Don’t be too anxious.
28. What advice would you give someone just starting out in racing? Stay out of my way!
29. If you had the opportunity to build a race track, where would you build it, what kind of track and what size would you make it? 1/2 mile high bank in my front yard.
30. What professional driver do you see yourself as & why? I don’t.
31. Do you have any pre-race superstition? I pray.
32. Do you spend more time with your race car, or your spouse? Do I have to answer that?!