1. What is your name? Chip Godfredson
Martial status – Married
Age – Over 25
Spouses Name (if married) – Leah
Kids - Garrett, Trevor, Morgan
2. What is your car #? 11k
3. What class do you race in? IMCA Modified
4. Do you have a nickname, if so what is it and how did you get it?
5. Who are your sponsors?
Klinger Racing - they have sponsored me for many years and I will never be able to fully explain to them how much I have appreciated their help.
6. How long have you been racing? 25 years
7. Do you work on your own car?
Yes. Along with many great friends and family.
8. How many feature races have you won? Over 50
9. How many championships have you won? I have only raced for a championship one time and it became too much like a job. To me championships are for the recognition. I do not race for the recognition. I race for fun. If the people do not remember my name but I help put on a good show and they enjoy themselves, that means more than a championship.
10. Do you think you are a good driver? Most of the time.
11. What make & model of car do you race? K-MOD
12. Have you purposely wrecked someone? I have only purposely spun out one person in all the years I have raced. I have never purposely wrecked anybody.
13. If so, who & why? I got tired of being blocked no matter how I tried to pass him.
14. Looking back, would you do it again? No. The car behind me hit me when I checked up and we all wrecked.
15. Have you ever rolled your race car? Several different times when racing sprint cars.
16. Have you ever been hurt in a race car? Yes.
17. If so, how were you hurt? Racing sprint cars. Flipped sideways and end over end too many times in a non-wing sprint car at Battleground Speedway in Baytown, Texas. The ride in the ambulance was worse than the wreck. Then they wanted to cut my firesuit off. Then they had a rookie trying to draw blood and he had to try way too many times. Most of this time I could not see because of broken blood vessles in my eyes. What a memory. Thanks for that question.
18. What groove do you prefer to run (top, middle, bottom)? Top
19. Do you like a tacky track or dry slick track? Slick with a good cushion about a foot from the wall to lean on.
20. Do you like your car on the loose or tight side? Loose.
21. Do you want to move up in racing? No because my wife and kids come first and I am not willing to make the sacrifices it would take to move up.
22. If yes, what is your goal?
23. What is your favorite class to watch (pure, street, super, sport mod, mod, dwarfs, or other)?
1st favorite class to watch - Sprint cars.
2nd favorite class to watch - Midgets.
3rd favorite class to watch - Classes with lots of cars.
24. What is your #1 favorite moment from your racing career? The first time my dad and I finished first and second in a sprint car feature. It would have probably been better if I was the one that got first but eventually that did happen.
25. What is your worst moment from your racing career? When my dad retired from driving. We were still racing against each other and it sure is different now.
26. What was your funniest moment? Way too many to pick just one.
27. In your racing career, what was the best advice anyone has ever given you? When my dad thought me about safety. He told me to buy all of the best safety equipment first and then see how much is left to spend on the car.
28. What advice would you give someone just starting out in racing? Always look at safety first and learn about the chassis. You will never be real successful on pure driving talent. Know how everything works and why because it is much easier to be the best driver if you have the best working car.
29. If you had the opportunity to build a race track, where would you build it, what kind of track and what size would you make it? I would build it in New Braunfels and it would be a 1/4 mile dirt track exactly like Big H in Houston was before they ruined it by putting asphalt and concrete on it.
30. What professional driver do you see yourself as & why? Ken Schrader. I would love to drive different type of cars all over versus just racing in the same class all the time.
31. Do you have any pre-race superstition? If so, what are they? No. I do not have any superstitions in life at all.
32. Do you spend more time with your race car, or your spouse? My spouse but I have recently received her permission to spend more time with the car. I am not sure if that is a good sign or not.